The station Rolandseck near Remagen, a neo-classical jewel of Emil Hermann Hartwich (1801 - 1879) was completed 1856. Since decades the station is a meeting place for artists from around the world. The station Rolandseck is deemed as an important cultural monument of the rheinish history of art and the early German railway engineering. Queen Viktoria of England, the emperor Wilhelm II and chancellor Bismarck were guests here. Heinrich Heine, Ludwig Uhland, Karl Simrock, the brothers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm as well as Friedrich Nietzsche turned in. Johann Brahms, Clara Schumann and Franz Liszt gave concerts.
After the 2nd world war, shortly before the planned demolition in 1964, Johannes Wasmuth discovered the building and revived it as a center for art and artist. He turned the station into an intellectual-artistic and social meeting point and brought here amongst others Martha Argerich, Svjatoslav Richter, Stefan Askenase, the Menuhin's, Pinchas Zukerman, Gidon Kremer, Oskar Kokoschka, Gotthard Graubner, Guenther Uecker, Bruno Goller, Hans Arp, Wolfgang Hildesheimer, Martin Walser, Gerhard Zwerenz, Marcel Marceau and clown Dimitri.